Call for papers: Children born into families affected by HIV
The Coalition for Children Affected by AIDS is sponsoring a special issue of AIDS, the official journal of the International AIDS Society, on the theme of Children Born into Families Affected by HIV for release at the 20th International AIDS Conference from 25 July 2014 in Melbourne.
SPECIAL ISSUE: Children Born into Families Affected by HIV
The Coalition for Children Affected by AIDS (www.ccaba.org) brings together funders and technical experts to advocate for the best policy, research and programs for children. The Coalition hosts an International AIDS Society (IAS) affiliated symposium on children two days prior to the biennial international conference of the society. In collaboration with the IAS, the Coalition also sponsors a Prize for Excellence in Research Related to the Needs of Children Affected by AIDS which is awarded at the conference. Since 2010, the Coalition has produced a special issue of a journal on issues affecting children and families which is launched at a high -profile event at the IAS Conference (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/issues/188025/ and http://www.jiasociety.org/index.php/jias/issue/view/1459).
- Fertility decisions by HIV- affected couples (including family planning and safe conception)
- Effects of HIV and antiretroviral drug exposure on foetal development, birth outcomes (including stillbirth, prematurity, low birth weight), and early growth and development
- Testing of young children and treatment in the context of the family
- Disclosure of HIV status (of parents or themselves) to young children
- Parental HIV illness and its impact on young children’s development
- Mental health of young children in families affected by HIV
- Interventions and models of care to support young children and families affected by HIV